[mythtv-users] Storage Group Confusion - When disks get full can myth move recordings?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:24:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have a single 'Default' storage group, which has three drives under
it (300GB, 500GB, 50GB).  Tonight, my single backend was recording two
shows from the same DVB-T card (2 different channels, same multiplex)
and was writing each show to a different disk.  One of the disks got
completely full but both recordings stopped writing to disk.  This
looks like a bug in the recorder, but I wonder if it is a known
problem in 0.21 (ubuntu hardy)?  Anyone able to confirm?  Is it just
an underlying problem caused by using the one single tuner?

The main problem I have though is that the other two drives had spare
space and about 40 recordings in the deleted recording group.  Is
there any inbuilt way (or community supplied scripts that work with
0.21) to move smaller recordings from a drive that is getting full to
another drive that is not so full?  I have my storage group set up to
ensure there is 7GB of free space on each disk, if this factors in at
all.

On the whole, I find it a little confusing to understand (and
therefore manage) how mythbackend is selecting disks for recording but
this is likely my own fault not a complaint.  Are there any hints from
the community on how to best ensure that you always have enough
capacity on your disks?  Is it better to not use the 'deleted group'
since this makes me believe I have plenty of space (if all recordings
were expired) yet the space may not be on the disk where myth chooses
to record a large HD recording to.

Thanks for any help,
Whytey