[mythtv-users] Kernel Panics

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Apr 19 14:27:30 UTC 2009

On Sunday 19 April 2009 07:57:34 Johnny wrote:
> >> So suggestions would be really welcome!  Thanks!
> >
> > In these cases I always run memtest86. Try that first for a few hours.
>
> I 2nd giving memtest86+ a try. I don't know what all the kernel
> messages mean but you got errors about memory pages and invalid
> opcodes, which certainly could happen with corrupt memory. If your
> memory checks out you may want to check the smart report on your boot
> drive and run badblock (non destructively) on it.

I agree, though memtest and badblock can show errors if the problem is
actually with the PSU.

Sounds like you are a victim of the "lightbulb effect". Hardware tends to fail
on powerup. How often have you had a lightbulb fail just as you turn it on,
as opposed to just sitting there burning away and suddenly failing? The
latter does happen, but nowhere near as often as at turnon.

In my experience PSU failures are the most common cause of "odd" problems that
seem to defy analysis. The power supply testers sold for $20 or less are
pretty much useless, because they do not load the supply, measure precise
voltage or show poorly filtered inverter hash. They will show up a really
defective supply that's missing one or more voltages, but an "OK" from one of
these "testers" does not mean the unit is working fine.

It doesn't help that the PSU is the first place manufacturers seem to scrimp,
and many supplies are marketed based solely on the aggregate total wattage,
which is often rated extremely optimistically, if not downright fraudulently.

People don't like spending $100 or more for a PSU, but most would be far
better off if they did.

--
beww
beww at beww.org