[mythtv-users] Mplayer conf file and xscreensaver when playing videos

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 17:45:01 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Krzysztof Adamski <k at adamski.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 00:34 +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:
>> > Try using MPlayer's -hearbeat-cmd
>> > command(<http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html>) instead.
>>
>> Thanks. For the record adding this line into my mplayer.flv.conf file
>> did the trick:
>>
>> heartbeat-cmd="xscreensaver-command -deactivate"
>
> I added -stop-xscreensaver to the command line invocation of mplayer,
> and that worked also. This way I didn't have to do it on every frontend.

Just to be clear...whether you put the option in the command line or
the config file...the main issue is that, in newer versions of
mplayer, they've stopped supporting all the various different APIs
used by various screen savers in favor of the screen saver API within
X itself.  Unfortunately, I don't know if any of the screen savers
actually use that API...though in fairness to the mplayer folks they
probably should.  I know for sure that xscreensaver doesn't.  For that
reason it's almost always necessary to use the heartbeat-command
option (using a command specific to the screen saver you're running).

Tom