[mythtv-users] Poor HD Playback

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 12:57:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Since you were able to get opengl vsync enabled, and that
>> didn't
>> correct things, then that's not the issue apparently.
>> By the
>> way...the permissions problems with RTC may be related to
>> this:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frame_display_timing#Adjusting_the_RTC_Interrupt_Frequency
>>
>> ...that is, it's probably trying to set the frequency
>> higher than the
>> max allowed...but again, I don't think RTC will change
>> anything.
>>
>> You're not going to be able to use Bob x2 or the new
>> Interlaced x2
>> without that 2903 patch.  The only "official" patch to
>> that issue is
>> very new and was actually only committed to trunk:
>>
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/20277
>>
>> So the binary you have definitely won't have it.  I'm
>> running under
>> Gentoo with my own modified ebuild with that patch and
>> others.  The
>> only binary packages I'm aware of with that patch (as well
>> as the new
>> Interlaced x2 deinterlacer) are the ones Jean-Yves Avenard
>> has built:
>>
> Thanks, Tom.  I had already studied that RTC wiki and changed the value from 64 to 1024.  It made no difference.  Still get the permission denied error.  I would really like to get RTC to work to give that a try.  It is also a bit puzzling to me (from reading that wiki) why I would even need to change the max value from 64 to 1024, since I'm only using 60Hz anyway, not refresh rates higher than 64 referred to in the wiki.  I was not able to use the "echo 1024 > /proc/..." method of changing the value, since my /proc path (file system) is read-only for everyone (even root).  I used sysctl instead.
>
> When I enable the OpenGL sync option, must I also be using OpenGL for the  filter, scaling, OSD, etc?  I tried that too, but the OpenGL stuff resulted in some gray lines on the bottom of the screen (1080i content) with the rest of the picture either squeezed or cropped of the top.  It also didn't change the frame timing problem I'm seeing.  For 720P content, I got a blank screen with audio.  I've gone back to the default (ffmpeg) as it works the best.
>
> Even if I can get the frame timing problem fixed, I would still need to find a filter to deal with the intermixed progressive frames that NBC and CBS use in their 1080i content.  It causes a flicker/corrupted frame to flash on the screen periodically.
>
> Jay

You can use the OpenGl Vertical sync only.  Actually that's considered
by many to be the best method anyway.  The only reason I started using
RTC was that I had some occasional freezes with OpenGL vsync if my
screen saver came one during paused video.

If you were to run Jean-Yves Avenard's versions with the new
deinterlacer and the 2903 patch you'd be able to try either Bob x2 or
the new Interlace x2.

I've always found that Bob x2 doesn't have a problem with those mixed
progressive frames, though I used to tend to switch from auto-detect
to interlaced manually on those shows out of habit.  The Interlaced x2
deinterlacer however stuttered on NBC content due to deinterlacing
being constantly enabled and disabled.  The only way to get around
that without having to manually switch from auto-detect to interlaced
would be with the change I described here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/376922#376922

I doubt that anything like that is in Jean-Yves Avenard's versions though.

Tom