[mythtv-users] Mytharchive issues (yet AGAIN!)

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 24 20:18:38 UTC 2009

> John Drescher wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a recording that I want to archive on
> DVD.  For some reason,
> >> mytharchive just isn't cooperating.  The
> recording was made off of my
> >> digital pcHDTV550 card (the DVB side).  At
> first I tried using the
> >> mytranscode script that Rod Smith wrote, and that
> I've used before, but the
> >> audio was about 30 seconds ahead of the video no
> matter what I tried.  The
> >> thread that I followed a few months ago concerning
> that can be found at
> >> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/361593?search_string=mytranscode;#361593.
> >>
> >> So, I figured I'd try the stock mytharchive.
> No matter what I told it to do
> >> for transcoding (SP, EP, or LP), the process would
> fail with the following:
> >>
> >> Unknown encoder 'mpeg2video'

> >> ERROR: Failed while running ffmpeg to re-encode
> video.
> >> Command was ffmpeg -threads 2 -v 1 -i
> >> "/storage/recordings/3131_20090421000600.mpg" -r
> ntsc -target dvd -b 4771k
> >> -s 720x480 -acodec copy -copyts -aspect 16:9
> >> "/storage/temp/work/1/newfile2.mpg" -map 0:0 -map
> 0:1

> >> The last thing that I tried was to use the "do not
> transcode" option.  This
> >> process completed but when I burn the DVD and try
> to watch it, it is only 10
> >> seconds long.  So what do I have to do to get
> a valid DVD of this recording?
> >>  I can post logs if anyone wants to see them
> (mythburn.log or progress.log).
> >>  I've had nothing but issues with
> Mytharchive, which should be a seemless
> >> process IMO.
> >>

> > I would try the projectx option.
> >
> > John
> >

> Nope no good.  I chose "Use ProjectX" in the Archive
> Settings, then
> chose the recording and "Don't re-encode", and got the
> following in my log:
>
> sh: projectx: not found
> Failed while running Project-X to cut commercials and/or
> demux an mpeg2
> file.
> Result: 127, Command was projectx -id 0x8c0,0x8c1 -out
> "/storage/temp/work/1" -name "3131_20090421000600"
> "/storage/recordings/3131_20090421000600.mpg"
> ERROR: Failed to run Project-X to demux file
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 8.10 x64 so I assume I have to
> apt-get projectx?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

I am also running Mythbuntu 8.10 x64 and had the same problem with authoring a DVD using Mytharchive (I was converting an MPEG4 AVI file to MPEG2 DVD Video).  I googled for "Unknown encoder 'mpeg2video'" and found out that the version of ffmpeg shipped with most (all) distributions is "gimped" and won't do transcoding.  I followed the instructions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=986534) I found using apt-get to remove the ffmpeg that came with Mythbuntu and install an ungimped version.  Mytharchive, ffmpeg, and dvdauthor then all worked to author a DVD.

Jay