[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 16:11:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Allen Edwards
>> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I understand there are two issues and you need to have a fixes version as
>>> suggested.  It completely killed what was a very annoying problem for me.
>>> Allen
>>
>> Other than the Josh's patch, what's the other issue?  Change set 19222
>> itself is only related to gnome screensaver.  Is it something other
>> than that?
>
> The 3 issues I know of that can cause delays are:
>
> 1)  If you have an Nvidia card, the following like should be in
> Section "Device":
>        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
>
> 2)  gnome-screensaver/myth interaction issues that were addressed in r19222
>
> 3)  The file probe issue fixed in my patch
>
> Do you have #1 possibly?  There are quite possibly other causes, and
> maybe a more central root issue that these all just exacerbate by
> causing CPU load at just the right time, but the above (1 and 3
> anyway; I never had to isolate #2) eliminated the issues for me.  I
> agree with others that, in general, it's better to move to the latest
> -fixes rev and work from there if possible (I do it with 2 root
> partitions I alternate, so I can install Linux and Myth clean and copy
> over what I need, while still keeping the original snapshot to revert
> to if needed)
>
> Josh

Yes...I've always had UseEvents set.  I'll see how things go for a
while.  I see that there is a Gentoo portage ebuild for 19961.  I
could probably create an ebuild for the newest rev pretty easily as
well.  Reversing that would be easy anyway seeing as there's no
database version change involved.

Tom