[mythtv-users] uPNP Stream to PS3 woes

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Apr 27 16:16:13 UTC 2009

Michael Craven wrote:

> I’m capturing AVC/AC3 fine to a file that myth writes as mpg on the
> storage disk… I can see the Myth uPNP server from my PS3 and have no
> issues surfing about the various menus to find recordings. When I try
> to play a recording, I get a ‘data corrupt’ message. L
>
> The files myth is writing are accessible from another uPNP server
> running in my network and it will stream them to the PS3 just fine. I
> was capturing AVC/AAC before and that wouldn’t play on the PS3 without
> transcoding no matter with server was doing the streaming.
>
> Does anyone have some thoughts on why one server streams just fine and
> the myth server seems to upset the PS3? The streams should be the
> same, no? Beyond that, I assume others are doing post-capture
> transcodes/user jobs? As a second option, can I get some direction to
> setting some post-capture massaging up?
>
> Many thanx.

Some servers will transcode files on-the-fly into something the client
has reported that it will play (usually mpeg2). The PS3 is rather
finicky when it comes to acceptable content. It can only play AVC
content from MP4, TS, or M2TS files. I do not believe it supports them
in PS. Beyond that, AVC must be Main or High and Level 4.1 or lower, and
there are some other restrictions with respect to macroblocking and
B-frame options. AAC should work in all three formats, but unless this
has changed recently, AC3 is not supported in MP4 on the PS3.