[mythtv-users] Ethernet troubles.

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 17:13:04 UTC 2009

Ronald Frazier wrote:

>> IIRC in the IPTables world it's not even called NAT, but Masquerading.
>
> The table that handles address translation for iptables is called
> "nat". "MASQUERADE" is merely a target that is applicable to entries
> in the "nat" table. Additionally, it's not meant to be used when you
> have a static IP on the WAN.

You beat me to the RFC quotage, but it's worth noting that in the
iptables/ipchains world, IP masq is just a special form of NAT that
doesn't preserve the state table when the interface goes down and/or
changes IP address. It's there simply for convenience when dealing with
a dynamic interface.

Matt