[mythtv-users] Enabling Xv on ATI HD 3200

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Apr 27 22:38:01 UTC 2009

Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Kirk Bocek wrote:

>> Yes, I get tear free video.
>
> You confused me Paul. I somehow thought you had abandoned ATI and moved to Nvidia.

No, using ATI chips with the radeon driver was the only way I found to
correctly output interlaced display modes. I had some measure
of success with a FX5200, but never got that to produce smooth
playback. I'll probably swap to nVidia when I eventually move
to HD because of VDPAU, but I'll be sticking with ATI until then.

>>> Following a few links, looks like the radeonhd driver is the one I
>>> need an not
>>> the older radeon driver:
>> No, although radeonhd is supposed to be the one for modern ATI
>> chips, it seems to be miles behind the radeon driver which has
>> been developed to also handle modern chips and does a great job
>> of it.
>
> So this is what I want to look at then:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/
>
> Looks like the current version is 6.12.2. The 6.6.3 in CentOS 5 is looking
> pretty old...

I think 6.9.0 was the first I had any success with, and I use 6.12.2 now.

Paul.