[mythtv-users] VDPAU playback stuttering when XvMC playback is just fine?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 08:06:37 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/4/29 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>:
> (I am using mythbuntu with JYA's repo)

Start synaptic

and click on nvidia-glx-180, go into force version ; you'll have them
all (up to 180.41 if on Jaunty)
then do the same with nvidia-180-kernel-source

You can do the same with nvidia-180-libvdpau, though I'm not sure it
makes a difference as it's all in the drivers.

For stuttering, you have to make sure that both the extra buffer is
checked , and the option that makes the audio buffer appear smaller
unchecked.

I found a bluray RIP (Stardust) today that do not play nicely with
Mythtv/VDPAU. It used to play fine. And it plays fine on my apple
macbook (Ubuntu Jaunty). No idea why. I reverted to all the previous
version of mythtv I created hoping it was something obvious. Didn't
make a difference. I then reverted to all the previous nvidia drivers
back to 180.37 ; same thing.

In desperation, I upgraded to mythtv trunk: exactly the same issues :
video plays great, but sound is dodgy.
The only difference between my macbook and the various PC I tried, is
the sound is analog on the macbook , and digital for all the other
one...

Everything plays fine with mplayer