[mythtv-users] Any way to set up a warning when logs get too big?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Apr 29 12:10:22 UTC 2009

> Is there anyway to set up a warning when my log files start getting too big?

Logrotate is typically set to rotate out log files on a scheduled
basis (daily, weekly, etc). However, you can also tell it to rotate
out the logs when they exceed a certain size. What I don't know (since
I've never used that option) is how quickly logrotate detects that it
has exceeded size (I don't know if it checks daily, hourly, minutely,
etc).

For my system, I wrote a script that checks the free space every half
hour and notifies me via email when the free space on any disk goes
below a certain threshold. I find that useful since I'm not always at
home when the problem happens, but I can ssh in remotely to fix the
issue.

--
Ron