[mythtv-users] Any way to set up a warning when logs get too big?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 29 14:40:03 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 08:05:56 Damian wrote:
>  > For my system, I wrote a script that checks the free space every half
>  > hour and notifies me via email when the free space on any disk goes
>  > below a certain threshold. I find that useful since I'm not always at
>  > home when the problem happens, but I can ssh in remotely to fix the
>  > issue.
>
> This sounds great. Any tips on how to do it? The email part may over
> complicate things for me, just a persistent pop up of some time would be
> great.

Probably a better approach, since lots of things other than logs can cause
drives to fill up.

Funny, but I would consider a popup to be more difficult than an email. Most
distros come with the ability to send mail, but a lot of mail servers will
reject mail from a dynamic IP, and many ISPs block port 25 except on
commercial accounts. Both measures are to try and prevent spam.

Usually you can relay mail through your ISP's server, or through somebody like
Apple, if you have an account, and many servers now accept mail on ports
other than 25.

--
beww
beww at beww.org