[mythtv-users] how do you handle different lineups from the same source?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 18:51:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Alex Williamson
<alex.l.williamson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the scenario, I have 2 dish STBs, one connected to an hdpvr,
> the other connected to a pvr250.  The dish schedules direct lineup
> lists both sd and hd channels using the same channum and freqid.
> Obviously I don't want mythtv attempting to record hd from the pvr250.
>  Ideally I could create 2 schedules direct listings, one containing
> only hd channels for the hdpvr, the other containing only sd channels
> for the pvr250.  Schedules direct won't let me do this, however, even
> if I could, I think I'd have trouble getting myth to use the right
> tuner from the epg since the channum/freqid is identical.
>
> The FAQ seems to suggest editing my channel lineup at schedules direct
> before populating the lineup in myth, then using the
> --remove-new-channels option to mythfilldatabase so as not to re-add
> the new channels.  This seems like a huge pain since
> selecting/deselecting channels in my lineup is incredibly tedious and
> error prone, as well as a maintenance nightmare should any of my
> lineups change.  Does anyone have a good solution for this?  Thanks,
>
> Alex

I'm not sure I have a great solution, but since no one else has
answered, here goes.

As for creating 2 SchedulesDirect lineups for the same source, you
might have some luck using two different zip codes.  I had to do this
because of a couple of OTA stations that SD didn't think I should be
able to receive.  Of course, this may not work out for local stations
on the satellite.

As for editing the lineups to segregate high definition and standard
definition.  Instead of, or in addition to, the tedious SD interface
for selecting/deselecting channels, you can make them invisible in the
myth DB.  You can load settings/tv/channels in mythweb and uncheck the
"visible" box for the appropriate channels.  And of course you can
manually modify the DB instead of using a UI, if that's your thing.

I agree with the advice to use "--remove-new-channels" so that you
have control over what channels get added.  (E.g., those PPV porn
channels that only come to life during the weekend.  :)

Jim