[mythtv-users] VDPAU playback stuttering when XvMC playback is just fine?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 30 02:54:11 UTC 2009

Dave Johansen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2009/4/30 Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com>:
>>> I have the extra buffering checked, but where do I find the "audio
>>> buffer appear smaller" option, so I can make sure it's unchecked?
>> Q: I get stuttering  every few seconds with errors like "NVP: Video is
>> 3.12705 frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up."
>>
>> A: Check your settings: In General: make sure "Aggressive sound card
>> buffering" is unckecked
>>
>> In TV -> Playback "Extra audio buffering" is checked.
>
> I just checked and "Aggressive sound card buffering" is unchecked and
> "extra audio buffering" is checked, but I still get stuttering.

Two further things to try. I was getting intermittent freezes with NVP
errors. The fixes below dealt with the specific problem I had, and *may*
help your situation.

1) Make sure that 'Real-time priority' is unchecked (Same settings page
as 'extra audio buffering',

2) Add  'Option "TripleBuffer" "true" to the Device section of your
xorg.conf file. This 'steals' memory which the driver has allocated for
3D and uses it for 2D buffers. Since TV playback is pure 2D this is what
we want. (After editing xorg.conf use Control-Alt-Backspace to re-start
  your desktop.)

Geoff