[mythtv-users] VDPAU playback stuttering when XvMC playback is just fine?

Keith Richie disturbed1976 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 12:35:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On 30/04/2009, at 3:13 PM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> From your logs it's obvious you have issues with your machine not related
>>> vdpau.
>>>
>>> Your PC seems to be IO bound for some reasons. Fix that first.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing the stream is corruted or interrupted
>>
>> How can I tell if my machine is IO bound?
>> And if so how do I tell what the bottleneck is?
>>

> Look at the log you posted earlier. There are tons of messages regarding  IO
> bound issues, just google those
>
> There's not one single reason for those. Could be a kernel issue, could be
> your hard drive (on the backend) is dodgy.
>
> Just google for those error
> messages._______________________________________________

IOBOUND errors are usually one of 2 things. Non optimal kernel
configuration, or you've reached the limit of your system.

Check to make sure you don't have any non essential services running
in the background. Some distro's have those darned indexing utilities
;)

Try changing the kernel scheduler, analyze your slab/slub performance
(slabtop), and take a look at iostat.

Running iostat -x will give you an output showing the utilization of
your drives (last column). If it is at or near 100%, you've reached
your limit.