[mythtv-users] User Job: MPEG --> MP4

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Apr 30 17:41:11 UTC 2009

Michael Craven wrote:
> I’m a bit confused about user jobs versus mythtranscode… I’ve read a
> bunch of info on both options but most seem to be actually transcoding
> when I just want to change containers and replace the original file. The
> next step will be snipping commercials.
>

> Basically, I’d like to move from the MPG file Myth is creating to an
> MP4. I’ve used the following command line to accomplish this manually:
>

> ffmpeg -i input.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec copy output.mp4
AFAIK this will not be what you think it is. I tried, doesn't play with
mplayer or popcornhour. Tried to put extracted audio and video in an mp4
container with MP4Box. The same, doesn't play on both.
What does medianfo tel you about this file, is it mp4 container, or just
renamed mpg.
BTW, what are you trying to achieve by putting it in an mp4 container?