[mythtv-users] CableCARD spoofed by DIY community

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Thu Apr 30 18:04:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> David Schlenk wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that the content you could potentially get from the
>> card is still encrypted and the DMCA specifically forbids you from
>> reverse engineering something by breaking encryption.
>
> 'effective' protecion it says.
> And it isn't effective anymore when broken.
> Also: DMCA doesn't apply outside of the USA, luckily.

Are there cablecard setups outside the USA?
IANAL but just because you drill through someone's door lock doesn't
mean the lock was ineffective, just that your level of dedication to
breaking and entering was more effective than the door lock was.
You'll still be on the wrong side of law. But once someone commits
that illegal act then anyone else can take advantage and loot the
place? Pretty sure you'd lose that case, but feel free to try it. I'll
stick to an HDPVR.