[mythtv-users] overscan problems with nvidia 8400 GS

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 13:58:15 UTC 2009

> Quite true Nick, this is for a SD monitor....would it matter?

It would matter to me. I use my 8400GS for SD and with the Advanced 2x
deinterlacer the picture out of my mythtv machine is the best I have
ever seen. It is even better than the picture straight out of the
cable to the TV. The VDPAU deinterlacers are really good. I would
rather have over scan than lose VDPAU on my SD machine.

I obviously can't confirm this, but my suspicions is that what ever
hardware supported the overscan adjustment in the older cards wasn't
included or was changed in the newer cards. To get overscan support
back those portions of the driver would have to be rewritten for the
new hardware, and they just haven't got around to doing in the Linux
drivers. So I don't think you will get overscan adjustment on a new
card with any driver, because that feature in the old drivers depends
on some hardware that is specific to the older cards.