[mythtv-users] Quad core, or stay with dual core?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Aug 3 12:49:34 UTC 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 4:55 AM, plainfaceboy wrote:

>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:43 PM, plainfaceboy<plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> I priced up a UK MythTV system last year (front/back end in one
>>> box for
>>> living room), but then for a variety of reasons (and the prices
>>> going up) I
>>> never got the bits. I'm now wondering if I should consider
>>> changing what I
>>> had spec'ed - primarily the CPU, as I'm ready to go again?
>>>
>>> I had thought of;
>>>
>>> ASUS M3N78 Pro
>>> AMD 5050e
>>> Silverstone GD01-MXR (with the display)
>>> 4GB Ram
>>> PSU (Corsair HX520 or somethign similar)
>>> 1TB drive (will probably be storing music/photos on network drive)
>>> WinTV-NOVA-T-500
>>> WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus
>>>
>>> With the prices of Quad cores now more affordable I'm wondering if
>>> I should
>>> go for something like a AMD 9650 2.3GHz, as it's probably only an
>>> extra £30.
>>> However, I'm not sure how much benefit I would get in practice,
>>> and am also
>>> assuming it would run hotter and therefore noisier.
>>> Would be interested in people's experience.
>>>
>> I would stay away from that chip. This one has the TLB bug and will
>> use much more power than the AMD 5050e. Although I would not get that
>> version either. The 5050e is just a factory underclocked/undervolted
>> 5600+. I'd get the 5600+ or similar and underclock/undervolt the chip
>> if I wanted to try to save a few W at idle. This way you will have
>> the
>> full power of the chip when you need  it and the same low power when
>> the cpu is at idle.
>>
>> Linux PHC has a driver that will let you under volt.
>> http://www.linux-phc.org/
>>
>> John
>>
> I thought it was the older 9600 that had the TLB bug, and the newer
> 9650's were ok?

I believe you're correct.

> Either way, there are a few quad cores I could afford, but I'm not
> sure;
> a) whether I'd see a lot of performance benefit

Not really. Almost any modern dual-core proc is sufficient, unless
you're expecting to be able to commflag several programs at once, or
playing back h.264 hdtv, relying on your cpu to do all the lifting.

> b) which quad core is the best (value and performance) for a media/
> myth system?

Probably an AMD one, but if it were me, I'd go for a low power
consumption dual-core over a quad-core.

> I could for example put one of the new phenom II chips into the
> M3n78 Pro (AM2+) motherboard with a BIOS update, so would only need
> to spend extra on the cpu, which I'd be happy to do if it gets me a
> system that performs better and lasts longer. I'm not sure whether
> the increased power/heat/noise would be practical??
> Thanks for help.

Do you have any actual performance problems now? What exactly is the
problem you're trying to solve by getting new hardware?

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com