[mythtv-users] Questions on PXE booting a frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 3 19:30:12 UTC 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 13:04:18 Ronald Frazier wrote:
> I too have had no problem letting my myth backend run dhcp for the
> diskless frontend systems and letting my router handle dhcp for
> everything else. My dhcpd.conf file is similar to Jelte's, but there
> are a few differences. Here is what I have. Don't ask my why I did
> things any specific way. I just copied setting from some tutorials and
> adjusted accordingly.

If it's working I wonder if it is because of luck. Perhaps one of the machines
takes a lot longer to respond to a DHCP request or some other mechanism is
preventing both dhcp servers from trying to work at the same time, or they
are sufficiently stubborn to try again when they get interfered with, and the
retry intervals are sufficiently different to prevent collision
(not "collision" in the ethernet sense, but in the "two dhcp servers trying
to work at the same time" sense).

The conventional wisdom is that more than one dhcp server on a network is
asking for trouble.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org