[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Aug 3 23:37:23 UTC 2009

Jim Goddard wrote:
> Comcast assures me that my cable box supplies an ATSC signal as well
> as the analog.  I have a Motorola DCH70 cable box.
Well then Comcast is outright lying to you.  The MOST you might have is
QAM passthrough when the cable box is off.  They might have meant that
over the cable line, you get all the normal broadcast ATSC channels
through clear QAM (which your HVR2250 can tune).

> Ideally, I could just get a cable-card from Comcast, but this card
> does not have a cable-card slot, nor could I find any that do.
Cablecard tuners are only available with a pre-built system from an
OEM.  Also, they are only usable on computers running Vista MCE.