[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 4 02:30:55 UTC 2009

On 08/03/2009 10:14 PM, Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2009 07:32 PM, Jim Goddard wrote:
>>
>>> I would love to cancel the cable altogether, but I like a couple programs
>>> on comedy central and sci-fi.
>>>
>> Vote with your wallet and cancel cable and go with OTA.  And, if you can
>> convince a few million of your closest friends to do the same (and they can
>> convince...), we might actually fix the real problem (the
>> cable-/satellite-company DRM infection).***
>>
>> Then, cut out the middle man (the cable co) and spend that $90/mo (or
>> whatever) on buying the TV shows on DVD or Blu-Ray.
> Yay!  End up with the Blu-Ray HDCP/HDMI DRM infection!

Though if we end the cable-/satellite-co DRM infection, we'll just
record our SciFi/SyFy in full HD with our Myth boxes, and then we'll
stop buying the DVD's/Blu-Rays, so they'll drop the DRM...

In truth, I'm buying DVD's (and /only/ for the shows that are worth the
cost--in terms of money and DRM--to me) and won't touch Blu-Ray at this
point, and I'm hoping that the Blu-Ray DRM problem will also be
resolved.  I'm not happy with the DVD DRM problem, but it's definitely
the lesser of 3 evils.

But, for the type who feel they can't drop cable--those who are
unwilling to forego watching some shows in the fight against
DRM--providing some options, including DRMed DVD/Blu-Ray releases of the
TV series may be the only way we can make headway.

Mike