[mythtv-users] Improving Power Consumption on ASUS M3N78 Pro NVIDIA 8300 Chipset

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Aug 4 12:01:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, August 3, 2009 6:36 pm, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Also note that the frontend is using a 65W TDP CPU versus the server
> with a 45W TDP CPU.  Now, that doesn't necessarily account for a full
> 20W of the difference (as you're more likely to see large differences in
> power usage at load).  However, if you're running the CPU--especially if
> just the frontend CPU--without powersaving features (Cool 'n Quiet)
> enabled or with the Performance governor or ..., it could well account
> for a large difference.  Also, since each CPU's power requirements
> vary--even when comparing 2 4850e's or 2 X2 5200's--you may just have a
> really nice power-efficient 4850e (as compared to other 4850e's) and a
> not-so-power-efficent 5200 (as compared to other 5200's).
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

   Forgot to mention the Dell server doesn't have a "Cool 'n Quiet"
feature but does run the fans at very low speed. BOTH PC's are running
powernow-k8 kernel module and I did configure both to run with the
conservative governor (this made no difference to the ondemand governor
on the Mythtv PC).

My minimum clock speed on the MythTv box is set to 1800000 due to issues
with VDPAU when running at 1000000. however this only knocks 5-10w off the
total.

It appears to use more current when running mythfrontend, when just
mythwelcome is loaded it goes down to around 89-92w.

Maybe I should have waited for the ION/Atom boards :)

Regards

Dave K.