[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 4 12:42:00 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 4/8/09, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> From: Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> On 08/03/2009 10:34 PM, Brian Wood
> wrote:
> > On Monday 03 August 2009 20:06:41 Michael T. Dean
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 08/03/2009 07:32 PM, Jim Goddard wrote:

<snip>
> Yeah, pretty sure this can never happen.  AIUI,
> Netflix Watch Instantly uses DRMed VC-1 video streams and
> closed-source decryption.  And, while it's possible
> that someone may crack the encryption, doing so would almost
> definitely be a violation of ToS at minimum and/or the DMCA
> or other laws.  If so, Myth wouldn't include the
> cracked Watch Instantly capability.

but hang on we are just time shifting witch is fair usage
and
"
(f) Reverse Engineering. — (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (b), a person may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure, in order to enable the identification and analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title.

(3) The information acquired through the acts permitted under paragraph (1), and the means permitted under paragraph (2), may be made available to others if the person referred to in paragraph (1) or (2), as the case may be, provides such information or means solely for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title or violate applicable law other than this section.

(4) For purposes of this subsection, the term “interoperability” means the ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged.
" - quoted from http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap12.html

tom_a_sparks