[mythtv-users] DeInterlacing && DVI

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 16:07:15 UTC 2009

> I have been somewhat confused on this for quite some time, and have finally bit the bullet and make myself look stupid...  DVI output is digital and Progressive(or so I think).  If my previous statement is correct, then I shouldn't need to ever do any deinterlacing.
>
> So are the above statements correct???I

I believe your statement and your logic are both incorrect :-). DVI is
neither progessive nor interlaced. It can send either type of signal.
It is your display that is an interlaced or progressive display.
However, assuming you are sending a progressive signal this is
precisely when you need to do deinterlacing. If you try to display an
interlaced signal on a progressive display without deinterlacing it
then you will see the jagged edges where the two interlaced fields
don't line up properly to make a single progressive frame.
Deinterlacing is the process of combining interlaced fields together
so that they produce a clean progressive frame. The case where you
theoretically don't need to do any deinterlacing is when you are
sending an interlaced signal to an interlaced display. However there
are many instances where a high quality deinterlacer in MythTV may
look better on your interlaced TV than sending it the regular
interlaced signal. But you would just have to try and see if that is
the case for your display.