[mythtv-users] XBMC + Myth = ?? Was:Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Tue Aug 4 20:03:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Andrew Gallatin<gallatin at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> Alan Marchiori [alan at alanmarian.com] wrote:

>> > I've been looking for such a beast, and haven't found one yet.
>> >
>> > I'm certainly open to ideas, so far I've been using a PS3, an Xbox, a D-Link
>> > DSM-520 and a Myka. All work quite well, but having it integrated into a Myth
>> > frontend would be great.
>> >

>> have you tried XBMC?  It seems to support both linux and is a UPnP
>> client.  I'm thinking of trying it at least... then just put a button
>> on the main myth menu to launch XBMC..?
>

> I tried XBMC with a trial version of PlayON (which was running on XP
> in a Virtual Box VM on my Hardy server) to stream Hulu.  It worked
> tolerably well, except that fast foward and rewind did not work at
> all. This is apparently a well known bug with PlayOn and XBMC.
>
> I finally just decided to use Boxee for Hulu, until Hulu shuts them
> out again.

Well I'm sold on at least trying PlayON running on a VM on my backend
with XBMC as my frontend.  My question is will there be problems with
XBMC and myth on the same box?  I assume there are going to be some
packages they both use (maybe ffmpeg or upnp libs.. etc?) what are the
chances just installing XBMC will break my myth setup?