[mythtv-users] XBMC + Myth = ?? Was:Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Tue Aug 4 21:00:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Christopher
Meredith<chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Well I'm sold on at least trying PlayON running on a VM on my backend
>> > with XBMC as my frontend.  My question is will there be problems with
>> > XBMC and myth on the same box?  I assume there are going to be some
>>

>>  Myth provides it's own copy of ffmpeg and has it's own build in upnp
>> libaries so those wont conflict at all.
>>

>> > packages they both use (maybe ffmpeg or upnp libs.. etc?) what are the
>> > chances just installing XBMC will break my myth setup?
>>

>>  Practically 0 chance.
>>  I'd say give it a go :)
>
> Same here. XBMC is almost entirely self-contained. Even if you build XBMC
> from source (*highly recommended*) you won't need any extra packages except
> dev packages.

Sounds good... hopefully it is as simple as apt-get install XMBC (or
whatever the package is).... the only question is why didn't I know
about this before now?? :)   I've been waiting for even a half-way
decent way to get netflix on demand with myth.  Although this isn't
exactly an optimal solution, if it works I'll be very happy.  Hulu/etc
integration is also a good bonus.