[mythtv-users] Listed in the guide, did not record

Mathog David dmathog at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 4 22:05:41 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 8/4/09, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> You*** obviously didn't read the links in that post, did
> you?  Specifically, I recommend reading the, "Why the
> 'Delete All' approach?" post, which explains that it's a
> /lot/ easier to start from a clean/known state and configure
> it correctly than to find the one thing that's broken in the
> winding maze of configuration data that's related to tuning
> and fix it.

A few points.

1.  I applied the nuke from orbit approach twice at the Digital Transition, once the day after the cut over date, and again around a week later when some of the stations had hopped around.  It isn't that I am against this method in all cases, but it should really not need to be done on a regular basis.

2.  Something is now screwed up on this system.  I want to know what it is so that I can report it as a bug, rather than having to keep working around it forever by reloading all of the channel information.

3.  I'm not even sure that this particular issue is related to the normal channel tables, schedules direct, and the like, since it affects only programmed recording on the one channel, but not normal "Watch TV" access or manual record on that same channel.  It really "feels" like the "record every day" entry has some channel information associated with it that has recently become invalid.  I don't have a clue where to look for that though.

4.  Nuke from orbit is considerably slower for me than for you.  My system has no keyboard as it is normally entirely controlled by a remote.  To do any form of maintenance requires booting another machine (which in this case is pretty slow since the machine that is used is pretty old and it has to boot off a CD), ssh in to the Myth box, and do everything then.  Also, because we watch some weak TV stations the timeout periods are set long.  This lets us pick up these weak stations reliably both when scanning and tuning, but at the cost of greatly increased scan time.

Regards,

David Mathog