[mythtv-users] Clone MythTV HDD

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 23:49:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:20 PM, <wf_myth_user at online.nl> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a Mythbuntu 8.10 backend running with 1 750 GB HDD.
> I would like to replace the hard disk for a 2TB model.
>
> I would like to clone the entire 750GB hdd to the 2TB hdd.
> I tried the following Tools/Boot disk.
> Image for Linux 2.41(Everything seemed to go fine But I could not boot the
> backend with the new HDD)
>
> CloneZilla(Everything seemed to go fine But I could not boot the backend
> with the new HDD)
>
> Ghost 2003(Did not work)
> Acronis True Image Home(Did not work)
> Ping 3.00
>
> Does anybody know I tool to reliable clone a entire hdd.
>
> Thanks Wim

I did this recently.  If I recall correctly, I did it in the following way.

1. Use fdisk to create partitions on the new drive, where most of the
partitions are approximately the same size as the corresponding
partitions on the old drive.  Be sure to mark the appropriate
partition(s) as bootable.

2. Run the appropriate mkfs or mkswap command on each partition.

3. For each partition, mount the partition and copy data from the old
drive to the new drive with rsync, e.g.:
    rsync -avx --progress <source> <destination>
You have to be careful about how you specify the source and
destination directories, including whether to use a trailing slash
character.  See the man page, and make a test run first.

4. Check for file systems that are mounted by UUID.  In particular,
modify any UUIDs in /etc/fstab and grub.conf on the new drive.  Look
up new UUIDs via e.g. "tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1".

5. Install grub on the new drive's MBR.  Run "grub" from a shell, then
commands "root (hd1,0)" and then "setup (hd1)" and then "quit".  This
assumes the new drive is the second one in the system (hd1) and the
first partition is the boot partition (the "0" in "(hd1,0)").

6. Cross your fingers and boot the new drive!

I wouldn't trust dd unless the partitions are *exactly* the same size.

Jim