[mythtv-users] Clone MythTV HDD

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 5 00:29:32 UTC 2009

> On 08/04/2009 08:07 PM, John Drescher wrote:
> >> I wouldn't trust dd unless the partitions are
> *exactly* the same size.
> >>
> > dd is perfectly fine as long as the destination is the
> same size or
> > larger. I have used dd at work dozens of times to move
> a drive to a
> > larger one. After this you can use fdisk to extend the
> partition and
> > then use the appropriate fs tool to grow the
> filesystem.
>
> Personally, I prefer manual partitioning of the new disk,
> then mount all
> partitions of the old disk in one place, all the partitions
> of the new
> disk in another, then just rsync between the two. (With
> neither being
> actually booted at the time -- a live CD is great for
> this).
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

I tend to agree with this approach too.  I have used the dd method successfully, but there are a few things to look out for.  I think some (all) file systems keep a bad blocks list.  When you use dd, you copy that list too.  Perfectly good blocks on the new drive may be marked bad, and even worse, the reverse situation.  A new partitioning and formatting eliminates this possibility and provides the oportunity to change the partition sizes up front.

Jay