[mythtv-users] XBMC + Myth = ?? Was:Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Aug 5 14:59:43 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 08:39:51 Alan Marchiori wrote:

> I was actually wondering how what PlayOn does is not in violation of
> the TOS.  I am worried to give them money because I think it is only a
> matter of time until they also get shut down like boxee.

The PLayOn server stores the file only until the next one comes along, and is
designed to make it difficult to grab the file from the server. At least they
have taken enough steps in that direction to make the content providers
happy, at least for now.

I'm aware that they might get shut down, but the $40 isn't that much of a
risk, I feel I've got my $40 worth already.

> The obvious advantage to recording the stream is the ability to
> ffwd/rewind.

It also makes it possible, or at least easier, to delete commercials.

> Do you think it's really worth it to create a myth setup
> to record streamed movies (in low quality) to a DVD when you could
> just buy a netflix subscription for 8.99/mo?

Of course not, but I like to think I am a rational person, and the people
running the Hollywood content providers have proved time and again that they
are NOT rational. Look at the DRM they insist on for Windows systems, also
low quality video. Of course that was a bunch of crap that MS sold them on.

They are probably more concerned about people just putting the files up on P2P
networks, not so much people making DVDs.

The Hollywood approach is to have as much control as they can get, whether
that control is necessary or meaningful in the first place. They will spend
$100 "protecting" $3 worth of content, but of course all the money spent
on "protection" is deductible as a business expense, so they can use those
deductions to lower their apparent profits, and point to those reduced
profits to "prove" the need for more DRM.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org