[mythtv-users] MythWeb/SchedulesDirect - everything's a rerun

steve.lawrence at comcast.net steve.lawrence at comcast.net
Wed Aug 5 19:33:49 UTC 2009

>As for why you may not disagree with Tribune's version of "new", here's
>an example.  "The Daily Show"  places the same episode at 10pm, 12am and
>10am the next day.  Tribune's data only says the 10pm showing is new.
>Personally, I consider them all the same "new" episode.  For recording
>conflict resolution, it's important for apps to detect duplicates using
>the internal episode ID and not just a "new" flag or description (which
>for The Daily Show, is usually generic, but that's a different issue).
>I believe MythTV does this.

>Robert
>XMLTV
>Schedules Direct

I should like to pipe up and say 'I'm having problems with this, too'.

For instance : MSNC has a 'news' show with Rachel Maddow.

Category:  	Talk
Type: 	series (EP01083561)
Original Airdate: 	2008-09-08
Program ID: 	SH010835610000
Hosted by: 	Rachel Maddow
Length: 	1 hr
Recording Group: 	Default
Playback Group: 	Default

its original air date is shown as 2008-09-08 : Which I understand from the
explanation is the first episode of this show. This one is flagged as a
'rerun' - One assumes by the lack of a 'new' flag from SD - Which I
understand is done because it's a 'news' show.

However it is, in fact a new show.

If I look at that show in mythweb it tells me the airdates for this show
are :

Wed Aug 5, 2009, 09:00 PM
Wed Aug 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
Thu Aug 6, 2009, 02:00 AM
Thu Aug 6, 2009, 09:00 PM
Thu Aug 6, 2009, 11:00 PM
Fri Aug 7, 2009, 02:00 AM
Fri Aug 7, 2009, 09:00 PM
Fri Aug 7, 2009, 11:00 PM
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 11:00 PM
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 02:00 AM
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:00 PM
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
[snip the rest]

So, it clearly thinks it's the SAME show. One imagines that the three
showings per day ARE the same show, but the ones on the following day are
not.

By your explanation I should have some kind of ProgramID stored which
identifies this particular show and could distinguish it from the next
day's new show (despite the lack of a 'new' flag on the xml?)

I currently have to set recording of this program as :

Record this program in this timeslot every day.

Which nets me a recording every evening. But I'd rather be able to 'record
new episodes' and leave the scheduling of it down to Myth.

Steve