[mythtv-users] mplayer mp3 decoding to digital out

Mike Schiller mdschiller.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 23:38:52 UTC 2009

I use the following option with mplayer to get ac3, dts, and 2 channel
audio from wmv files to play through my digital (optical) output to my
stereo:

  -ac hwac3,hwdts,

Additionally, the built-in player for recording playback has no issues
playing 2 channel audio over the digital output.

The problem comes when I try to play an avi file with mp3 encoded
audio with mplayer. In that case, it does not play through the digital
output. I assume that I need some other option to tell mplayer that it
needs to decode the mp3 as 2 channel and pass it out the digital port,
but I don't know what that option might be. I tried without success:

  -ac hwac3,hwdts,mp3acm,

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
MIke