[mythtv-users] Comcast Cable encrypted channels

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 6 14:15:59 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 22:27:31 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 August 2009 22:01:40 scram69 wrote:
> >> Fortunately, the OS X frontend + Remote Buddy provides a way for Myth
> >> and Netflix to play nicely, since Watch Instantly is available for
> >> Macs as well.
> >
> > I have a spare G5 iMac, will the F/E run on PPC architecture? Might give
> > it a try.
>
> I don't know if the F/E will, but I can tell you that Netflix won't.
> They only support Intel Macs.

OK, forget that idea then.

I don't like the idea of a 4-year-old machine being "obsolete", but I think
it's only third-parties (like Netflix) who do not meet the OSX standards and
directly use the intel CPU. I don't think Apple would release anything that
wouldn't run on both PPC and Intel.

I shut the G5 machine down long ago, it just plain pulls too much power for
what it does. I figured using it as a F/E might be OK, as it would only be
powered up while watching TV, but I have better machines for that.

But it pulls less power than my PS3 (205 watts at idle).

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org