[mythtv-users] SOLVED: Questions on PXE booting a frontend

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Aug 6 14:22:47 UTC 2009

On Aug 6, 2009, at 4:35 AM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who helped me on this.  I now have both Zotac
> IONITX machines doing PXE boots from the master backend, with no
> attached storage whatsoever.  They are running MythDora 10.21 which
> is based on FC10.  Here is a summary for the record.

As long as we're putting things on the record... Only the dist tag in
packages is fc10, for historical reasons mostly revolving around rpm's
version comparison scheme. The distro itself is just Fedora 10, or F10
for short, no C in there, it got dropped as of Fedora 7, over two
years ago. :)

> o The frontend now idles at 18 watts according to the Kill-a-Watt
> device.  I'm thinking of replacing the 2 1GB SDRAM modules with a
> single 2GB module, which would leave more open space for passive
> cooling, and perhaps even drop the power usage by a watt...

I wouldn't do it. At least with my Dell Studio Hybrid, video playback
got much smoother once I added a second stick of memory, so that it
was running in dual-channel mode. Remember that the system memory is
shared with the graphics controller here, so decreasing your memory
bandwidth could have a negative impact on video performance.

In related fun... I bought a matching set of 2G sticks when I got my
own zotac, with the plan being to put them in place of the 2x1G sticks
in my workstation, which also takes DDR2-800 memory, pushing it out to
8G total. The zotac board wouldn't boot with the 1G sticks, so its
currently got a pair of 2G sticks in it. Suckage of a low-end-ish
bios, the system only reports ~3.3G usable, never mind the fact that
4GB for a frontend box is gross overkill... Oh well. Memory is cheap.
Told the bios to just go ahead and give the video controller 512M.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com