[mythtv-users] 16:9 stretched on 1920x1280 display?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Aug 7 13:38:31 UTC 2009

Nick Rout [nick.rout at gmail.com] wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Andrew Gallatin<gallatin at cs.duke.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I'm configuring a machine that I plan to use as a front end. ?It is
> > hooked to a monitor with a 1920x1280 resolution. ?MythTV will playback

Actually, I had a typo, and the its 1920x1200 (so a 1.6:1 ratio).

> > a 1080i and 720p 16:9 recording using the full screen (eg, stretched
> > vertically). ?480i 4:3 material is displayed correctly.
> >
> > Mplayer -fs (and Boxee, and XBMC) will put black bars at the top and
> > bottom of the screen, and display 16:9 recordings in the (correct)
> > 16:9 aspect ratio. ?How do I coerce MythTV into doing the same thing?
> > I've gone through the menus during playback, and none of the settings
> > there seem to result in a non-stretched display.
> >
> > If it matters, this is an Ion running Ubuntu 9.04 with the Nvidia 190
> > drivers, and MythTV coming from the avenard repo. ?xrandr
> > and xdpyinfo report the display resolution correctly.
> >

> Just to clarify, what is the physical aspect ratio of the monitor? Are
> its physical dimensions 1.5:1 in line with the pixel dimensions?

Thanks for the hint, that was enough for me to fix it.  The
X server was pulling a bogus physical size from the monitor.
Eg, the physical aspect ratio was substantially different than
the pixel aspect ratio (and from the size as reported by a differnt
machine hooked to a differnt input of the monitor).  To fix it, I added
    Option         "UseEdidDpi" "False"
to my xorg.conf.

I don't suppose you might have an idea why xrandr reports the wrong
refresh rate for all monitors?  I expect that this will probably impact
correct MythTV video performance.

Xrandr it is reporting it as:

% xrandr -q
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1920 x 1200, maximum 1920 x 1200
default connected 1920x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1920x1200      50.0*
   1920x1080      51.0
<....>

Another computer (hardy, radeonhd driver, connected via dvi) will pull
the correct refresh rates (and size!):

DVI-D_1 connected 1920x1200+0+0 518mm x 324mm
   1920x1200      60.0*+
   1600x1200      59.9
<...>

The nvidia-settings program reports the correct refresh rate.
It just seems to be reporting via Xrandr that is wrong.  It also
seems to pull the wrong refresh rate from my Sony LCD TV (where the
frontend will eventually end up).

Thanks,

Drew