[mythtv-users] FrameSync Area on Perfectly good system

backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
Sat Aug 8 01:00:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 19:44:08 -0400, backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
said:
> steve wrote:
>
> > > Any ideas what happened. Like I said its been working fine for over a
> > > month. No updates or anything were done other then a reboot 3 days ago.
> > > Could this be a corrupted video file or bad hard disk? Machine is only 6
> > > months old.
> > >
> > > Thoughts. How can I fix this or where should I look?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > steve
> > >

> > Well I seem to have fixed the problem but not sure why it happened. The
> > problem was happening when going to the watch recording screen and myth web
> > when the MythBackend attempted to generate a preview for one of the
> > recordings. The error started popping up in the frontend log but a ps
> > showed a bunch of mythbackend --generate-preview processes. I deleted the
> > offending mpg file (using rm -f xxx.mpg) then reloading. Now everything
> > appears to be working fine.
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem could have been? Why would
> > the recording cause such a problem. Also should there be any checks in
> > mythbackend to protect from this type of error?
>
> Same error, same out-of-the-blue occurrence.  However, I don't have any
> mythbackend --generate-preview processes going on to kill.
>
> The problem first came to my attention this morning when myth showed no
> programs.  It turns out my / partition was full so mysql stopped
> working.  / was full because of huge mythtvbackend logs.  I deleted
> these (didn't look at them, was in a hurry) and restarted mysql, then
> the backend, then the front end and saw the recordings there and thought
> everything was OK.  But later, when I went to watch something, the
> frontend crashes as soon as I select a show to watch.
>
> The backend log grew to gigabytes, with the frame sync error messages
> repeated a million times or so.
>
> Frontend log was ending with a "Video sync method can't support double
> framerate (refresh rate too low for bob deint)" message that for all I
> know I have been getting all along.  An archive search said switch from
> CPU+ to slim, which I did, and this frontend log error message went away
> but it still crashed when I wanted to watch a recording.  So I don't
> think that is the problem.
>
> Machine is running mythbuntu 8.04, and has not been updated for weeks,
> so this problem occurred out of the blue.
>
> Note, the huge backend logs, the reason I ran out of space on my root
> partition, were big since about a week ago (multigigabyte), but the
> system was working as recently as yesterday.
>
> Hope someone can help because right now I can not watch any shows.

This went away after I posted this last spring, but now is back again.
I kow I should have my logs on a separate partition, but I don't.  Keep
running out of diskspace, and then mysql stops working (and hence many
other things).

Amy ideas on how to stop getting this error written so many times it
creates 5 GB log files?

Jon S.