[mythtv-users] backend system won't detect a drive

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Aug 8 15:15:44 UTC 2009

Kevin Wambsganz wrote:

> I got a couple of identical 250 GB Hitachi SATA drives from another
> system. They were working fine there. When I put them into my backend
> one drive works great and the other one is not detected at all by the
> BIOS or Linux. The system hangs for a minute or so during boot while
> it is scanning that port and then it says nothing was detected. I
> tried the drive on a couple of ports and with different cables, but
> nothing helped.
>
> I thought the drive was bad, so I threw it into a 3rd computer and it
> was detected fine. I was able to read and write a lot of data off the
> drive without problem. I ran Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test software and
> the drive passed all tests, including their low level format, and
> there are no SMART errors. So the drive seems fine. I just can't get
> my backend to recognize it. I have a Asus M3N78-EM in my backend. I
> updated to the latest BIOS, but that didn't help.
>
> I don't have much use for the drive elsewhere but would love to have
> it in my backend. I am stumped at this point. Any ideas?

The other good gotcha with HDDs is to check the drive selection jumpers. We had
a couple perfectly good drives at the last place I worked that just wouldn't
function outside the original system. Turned out they both had 'CS' (cable
select) when we needed to set them master and slave.

--

Mike Perkins