[mythtv-users] Cheap and quiet hardware for SD MythTV - possible?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Aug 8 18:49:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:32:13PM +0100, Gordon McCrae wrote:
> Stroller wrote:
> >
> > On 31 Jul 2009, at 20:23, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> >> If you just want a simple-to-use no-maintenance appliance for a
> >> non-technical user, I really couldn't recommend  MythTV at this time
> >> on any hardware.
> >

> > I had already asked this question on IRC when I posted yesterday, but
> > I must have done so when no-one was reading as I got no responses.
> > Later, after I posted here the channel came alive with cries of "that
> > idiot wanting to build a Mythbox so cheap!".
> >
> > For the benefit of others in a similar position to me, the consensus
> > was that £200 is probably still a *minimum* cost for a Mythbox. This

   Comparing a myth box to an appliance only works out if you can find
a suitable appliance. A lot of the ready made boxes are either buggy or
include some sort of monthly fee, have meagre features or just meagre
storage. They may not be upgradable or be upgradeable only after you've
gotten comfortable with Linux.

   For my basic (Tivo) usage, there is no appliance out there that I
wouldn't feel the need to upgrade (storage). My original S1 Tivo had
beefed up storage. You pay a hefty premium for drives that are packaged
"ready to install".

[deletia]