[mythtv-users] No sound from MythTV on my laptop

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Aug 10 02:02:48 UTC 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 9:33 PM, "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
 > wrote:

> I've installed F11.x86_64 on my laptop (upgraded from F9.x86_64,
> upgraded from FC6.i386) recently (June).  I also update MythTV to
> 0.21-211 (from ATRPMs).  The only problem I'm having is no sound from
> either liveTV or recordings when they are played on my laptop.  Both
> work just fine from when played on the backend server (an F10 AMD
> 2600+
> with 0.21-211.fc10 also from ATRPMs).
>
> When I noticed that the laptop was configured to play sound on /dev/
> dsp,
> and that the laptop not longer *has* a /dev/dsp,

See (iirc) /etc/modprobe.d/oss.conf

> I changed it to
> ALSA:default, but it doesn't seem to matter.  No matter what I select
> from the pulldown menu, I get no sound from MythTV.

I've seen the same on occasion. Often times, blowing away /etc/alsa/
asound.state and rebooting helps. ALSA is, um, less-than-api-stable
across kernel versions, so a big update jump can really hork things
up...

> Just recently (last night), I played with my pulseaudio configuration
> (until then, MythTV wasn't even appearing in the pulseaudio client
> list).

For my dedicated myth systems, I kill pulse with fire. Its a little
too "helpful"...

> What's up with MythTV????

I blame pulseaudio, but perhaps mythtv's pulseaudio support could use
some enhancing, I dunno.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com