[mythtv-users] No sound from MythTV on my laptop

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Aug 10 02:21:29 UTC 2009

On 08/09/2009 10:02 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 9:33 PM, "Kevin J. Cummings"
> <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>
>> I've installed F11.x86_64 on my laptop (upgraded from F9.x86_64,
>> upgraded from FC6.i386) recently (June).  I also update MythTV to
>> 0.21-211 (from ATRPMs).  The only problem I'm having is no sound from
>> either liveTV or recordings when they are played on my laptop.  Both
>> work just fine from when played on the backend server (an F10 AMD 2600+
>> with 0.21-211.fc10 also from ATRPMs).
>>
>> When I noticed that the laptop was configured to play sound on /dev/dsp,
>> and that the laptop not longer *has* a /dev/dsp,
>
> See (iirc) /etc/modprobe.d/oss.conf

Ah, .... /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf
a way to re-enable OSS support (which may cause pulseaudio to block).

>> I changed it to
>> ALSA:default, but it doesn't seem to matter.  No matter what I select
>> from the pulldown menu, I get no sound from MythTV.
>
> I've seen the same on occasion. Often times, blowing away
> /etc/alsa/asound.state and rebooting helps. ALSA is, um,
> less-than-api-stable across kernel versions, so a big update jump can
> really hork things up...

I don't have an asound.state in /etc/alsa.  Just alsactl.conf and
pulse-default.conf.

BUT, I *do* have an /etc/asound.state file....

>> Just recently (last night), I played with my pulseaudio configuration
>> (until then, MythTV wasn't even appearing in the pulseaudio client
>> list).
>
> For my dedicated myth systems, I kill pulse with fire. Its a little too
> "helpful"...

Not exactly where I want to go, mythtv will be "just another
application" on this laptop, so I don't want to break everything else
just for its sake.

>> What's up with MythTV????
>
> I blame pulseaudio, but perhaps mythtv's pulseaudio support could use
> some enhancing, I dunno.

Interesting comment.   Thanks.

--
Kevin J. Cummings