[mythtv-users] "Miro Bridge" a new MythTV script enhancement

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Mon Aug 10 13:17:17 UTC 2009

        DISAFAN, Nick Rout,

    You both bring up some good points. Here are my own views but in the
end it is always a matter of choice.

   1. The use of trunk was necessary to achieve the level of integration
      that I wanted. I would also rather develop a script that supports
      the future features of MythTV like Storage Groups then leave those
      features out and require a re-write latter on. I do not believe
      that the release of trunk (0,22) is so far off to invalidate this
      project.
   2. *You have already mentioned a tighter integration with the new
      MythTV user interface. In general Miro Bridge acts more like a
      recording device then a video RSS feed. In itself that may or may
      not be important to you.*
   3. The Miro GUI is more sophisticated then any command line utility
      could be, allowing for more control over your feeds.
   4. The Miro GUI provides a large search-able gallery of free legal
      Video sources that are easier to find and select then hunting the
      Internet yourself. That just means that through Miro there is a
      lower entry point for people finding powerful valuable content
      like "TedTalks".
   5. As long as Miro continues as a development project they will be
      the ones maintaining the multiple methods to detect and download
      audio and video content from the Internet. I like the idea of
      harnessing their development team's effort in the service of
      MythTV. MythTV developers can concentration on other things.
   6. Miro is becoming more popular all the time so this project serves
      those individuals that like what Miro provides but want to view
      all their videos through MythTV.

I appreciate your input.

Doug