[mythtv-users] Suggestions Needed : Stable NVIDIA code for VDPAU

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Aug 10 19:01:03 UTC 2009

Blammo wrote:
> I'm about 2 weeks into playing with VDPAU with mplayer and not having
> very good luck with stability.. Here's what I'm running currently:
>
> Linux version 2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.x86_64 (fedora10 / mythdora)
>
> NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  185.18.31  Tue Jul 28
> 17:52:27 PDT 2009 (atrpms)
>
> Model:           GeForce 9600 GSO
> IRQ:             16
> Video BIOS:      62.92.5e.00.00
> Card Type:       PCI-E
> DMA Size:        40 bits
> DMA Mask:        0xffffffffff
> Bus Location:    02.00.0
>

> I'm having problems with x264 playback and hard-locks with
> MPLAYER-CVS.  The video will freeze, the audio will stop, and the
> machine has to be reset. Playback with anything other than VDPAU is
> weeks stable, having no CPU/GPU heat problems (gkrellm/nvclock
> monitored).
>
> I realized VDPAU is still very beta, but I was curious what code revs
> people were running, and what kind of stability I should expect.

Have you waited a while? I have had some blank sceen lockups when
exiting playback, or attempting to delete a tv show. These last 30
seconds, almost every time, and then the system recovers.

I'm using (iirc) the nvidia 180.50 version driver. But these problems
started after an update of the kernel to the 2.6.27.19-170 series (not
the exact same one you have...).

I have not seen that problem on this box with the 2.6.27.25-170 kernel
and the 190.18 driver....But maybe I have not used this box enough under
myth...Then again, it IS my work machine!

And a comment elsewhere (which I cannot now find) extrapolated that
there was some sort of race condition between myth, the nvidia driver
and this kernel. (Possible, of course, but whether it is correct would
require some testing...and time for said testing...)

Geoff