[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Jarom McDonald jlmcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 03:31:43 UTC 2009

> > Does the HDHomeRun box take commands for setting a tuner to a specific
> > channel, or does one have to fool around with an infrared solution?
>
> Yes, it takes commands for tuning channels over the Ethernet port, no
> messing with IR for tuning.  It has a built in IR receiver, I think.
> I have never used it and don't know if it can be used by Myth.

This is actually another benefit that the HDHR has over a PCIe card --
especially considering that you're running a combined FE/BE. With any PCIe
card doing your recording on a box that's also your FE, you'll have to have
a separate device to run the frontend interface, whether that be a serial,
PCI/e, or USB infrared receiver. But with the HDHR sitting on your network,
if you set it physically in a place where it can receive your remote control
input then you can configure your frontend's lirc to listen for UDP data.
I've got my HDHR on a little shelf of my entertainment center and can thus
put my combined FE/BE back behind the entertainment center, away from the
kids, pets, etc.

Jarom