[mythtv-users] Done with ATI

Stephen Shelton stephen at stephenashelton.com
Wed Aug 12 03:34:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 23:20:21 -0400
Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2009 10:40 PM, Stephen Shelton wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:59:47 +0100
> > Paul Gardiner<lists at glidos.net>  wrote:

> >> Are you referring to the radeon driver? Why the need
> >> to wait? Do you have a very new card not yet supported?
> >
> > I actually have 3 ati cards:
> >
> > x1650
> > hd3200 (onboard)
> > hd4350
> >
> > All three handle 1080i just fine with fglrx except for screen tearing. None can quite cut it with
> > either radeon / radeonhd.
>
> I'll buy that playback sucks with the radeon driver on the hd3xxx and
> hd4xxx series cards, since the driver support for even the hd2xxx series
> is pretty immature, but support for the X1xxx series with the radeon
> driver is actually pretty good these days. I can play HDTV material just
> fine using the Radeon driver with both an X1300 and an X1900XT. The cpu
> in the system with the X1300 is just a dual-core 1.8GHz proc, and its
> not working *that* hard.
>
> That said, I'll still take either an nVidia or Intel video chipset over
> an ATI chipset for a MythTV system.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

I seem to recall having better results with my x1650 (r535 chip) but at present I get awful glxgears
score, 3d acceleration is a joke, and trying to play Lost at 1920x1200 is a slideshow. I'll look in
to it more, but this machine is a workstation anyway, and the card's real value is that it has dual
DVI ports :)

--
Stephen Shelton
stephen at stephenashelton.com