[mythtv-users] 0.22 && Storage Groups

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:53:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Nasa<nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:

> This leds me to a number of questions (mostly because I'm really slow and have been confused on this point for a while)....
>
> 1. What exactly are the benifits of storage groups?

The SGs allow you to stream the files from a backend rather than
having to locally mount them in the same location everywhere as we
have had to in the past-- Also allows you to expand storage without
having to resort to RAID or LVM.

> 2. How is it better than just using symbolic links?

Mostly for the above reasons.

> 3. How do you go from local mounts to storage groups without having to rescan everything again?

We'll have some code that does the conversion when/if we go to SG-only
for MythVideo.  How exactly this is going to pan it is still kind of
up in the air.  There are some different ideas about how this should
all work.

Robert