[mythtv-users] Zotac memory ?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:11:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM, Kevin
Bailey<ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I bought 2 of these boards, the single core with power supply
> variety. Neither of them make it to the BIOS boot screen.
>
> I have a PS2 keyboard plugged in, VGA monitor (although I've
> also tried DVI), memory and of course the power supply. I've
> also tried it with a USB memory stick.
>
> When I power it on, the keyboard and USB drive light up
> briefly but then nothing.
>
> I tried clearing the CMOS with jumper 1.
>
> The only thing in common is the memory. I bought this:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117
>
> Kingston ValueRAM, 2x1GB, DDR2 800MHz, 240 pin, CAS latency 5, 1.8V
>
> I've tried with one stick in each slot, and with both.
>
> Is this even the right kind of memory ? What are others using ?
>
> If not the memory, is there something obvious that I'm supposed to do
> to get it to power up ?

The other thing in common besides the memory is that, assuming you
bought the boards together, they probably came from the same batch.
Same with the power adapter.

On my "C" board, I tried removing my (G.SKILL) memory and powering on
to see what would happen.  I got no BIOS screen or video output
whatsoever, like you report.  The power LED stayed lit up.  Also, the
network plug's link LED remained lit up and the activity LED
occasionally blinked.  I believe this was true even when the system
was powered off (but plugged in of course).  This might help you
determine whether you have a memory problem or a board problem.

Jim