[mythtv-users] 0.22 && Storage Groups

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:16:50 UTC 2009

>> The SGs allow you to stream the files from a backend rather than
>> having to locally mount them in the same location everywhere as we
>> have had to in the past-- Also allows you to expand storage without
>> having to resort to RAID or LVM.
>>
> Reading the list I had come across this thread:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/382305?search_string=storage%20groups;#382305
>
> From which:
> "ok I think I get it... If I mount the NAS share to /var/lib/mythtv/recordings on every mythTV system (MBE SBE FE) then each system will work on the shared files that they see in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings even though they are actually on a NAS.
> The MBE will record to its own /var/lib/mythtv/recordings.
> The SBE will record to its own /var/lib/mythtv/recordings.
> The FE will playback from its own /var/lib/mythtv/recordings.
> ...and in each case they will be directly connecting to the NAS"
>
> No comments were made disputting this conclusion -- was this assertion correct or has it changed?
> If it is correct and hasn't changed, I really don't understand(what a surprise, told you I was daft) what you were getting at with your reply.

Is this a difference between storage groups in .21 and .22? As I
understood it in .21 you still need to set up the mounts on all of
your machines, but you don't need to (nor should you) set up storage
groups on each of the machines. They will all use the storage groups
that are defined on the master backend, but they will still need the
identical mount points for that to work properly. Is that correct?