[mythtv-users] Zotac memory ?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 12 18:21:26 UTC 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 1:37 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> Kevin Bailey wrote:
>> I know this isn't quite myth related, but perhaps it will help
>> others interested in buying a Zotac ion board.
>> I bought 2 of these boards, the single core with power supply
>> variety. Neither of them make it to the BIOS boot screen.
>> I have a PS2 keyboard plugged in, VGA monitor (although I've
>> also tried DVI), memory and of course the power supply. I've
>> also tried it with a USB memory stick.
>> When I power it on, the keyboard and USB drive light up
>> briefly but then nothing.
>> I tried clearing the CMOS with jumper 1.
>> The only thing in common is the memory. I bought this:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117
>> Kingston ValueRAM, 2x1GB, DDR2 800MHz, 240 pin, CAS latency 5, 1.8V
>> I've tried with one stick in each slot, and with both.
>> Is this even the right kind of memory ? What are others using ?
>> If not the memory, is there something obvious that I'm supposed to do
>> to get it to power up ?
>> Thanks
>
> I recently got the A-U version of this motherboard (dual core and
> brick power). My memory stick is the same spec as yours: DDR2 800.
> Normally I would suspect the power supply, since you do not get to a
> BIOS screen.

I have the dual-core atx power board. Wouldn't do squat with a pair of
1G DDR2-800 sticks I pulled out of another box (where they worked just
fine, but were to be replaced by a pair of 2G sticks I bought). Works
just fine with the pair of 2G sticks I'd wanted to put in the other
box. *shrug* Guess its a bit intolerant of something or other.
Voltage? Timings? Dunno...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com