[mythtv-users] No HDMI audio

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 04:08:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 8:27 PM, John Haywood <john at jhit.com.au> wrote:

> On 13/08/2009, at 12:44 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> 2009/8/13 Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I added a note to my wiki with your comment.  Maybe it will help someone
>>> else.
>>>  Allen
>>
>> I had a look at it, and I think the approach to set up digital audio
>> in Myth by playing with and .asoundrc leaving the Audio device in myth
>> as
>> Audio output device: ALSA:default
>>
>> is wrong to start with...
>>
>> It makes everything so much more complicated and out of reach for most users
>> .
>> In 99% of the case using a simple ALSA:spdif , or ALSA:hw:0,3 (if
>> HDMI) is all that would be required.
>>
>> I'm yet to find a pc with digital audio not working with either of
>> those configurations...
>>
>> With most modern distributions, playing with .asoundrc is completely unecessary
>

> Jean-Yves,
>
> I have the same board as you , connected via HDMI to a Sony Bravia, and, even though my /etc/asound.conf is set to:
>
> pcm.!default {
>        type hw
>        card 0
>        device 3
> }
>
> as per the results of aplay -l
>
> I don't have ALSA:hw:0,3 as an option in MythTV. What i do have is Alsa:<iec958> (or similar - not at home right now).
> If I try to use this, I get a staccato stuttering white noise out of my speakers, but only on HD channels. If I use Alsa:Default, I get no sound at all on said HD channels, so there must be some other parameters which I have set wrong somewhere.
>
> This leads me to an observation for the wiki (though first off, thanks for doing it and to all who contribute)- although the mechanics of setting the linux side of things is quite comprehensive (ALSA, tools, configs), the MythTV side is a bit of a mystery - for example there are audio settings in both 'General' and TV playback, plus the use of EDID or not seems to muddy the waters
>
> cheers
>
> john

You have probably tried this but if it were my system I would set
ALSA:default in myth and try these two settings in asound.conf

1)
  pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave {
        pcm "hw:0,3"
        format S32_LE
     }
}

and this one;
2)
  pcm.!default {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "hdmi"
  }

As I think I said, I had a situation where one of my two decoders
would be silent without the format S32_LE even though the other one
worked fine so what works for one person may not work for another and
it may have nothing to do with the linux or myth setup.

Allen